If you are thinking of going to Monterosso in Cinque Terre in Italy on vacation, you are probably wondering when is the best time to go there.
So, when is the best time to visit Monterosso in Cinque Terre?
Both summer and winter have pros and cons and here I will share my knowledge of one of the most beautiful places in Italy.
(This post may include affiliate links for more information see my disclaimer).
Where is Monterosso?
Monterosso is located on the north west coast of Liguria in Italy. Monterosso is part of Cinque Terre, which translates to five lands.
Cinque Terre is made up of five little villages; Monterosso al Mare, Riomaggiore, Manarola, Corniglia and Vernazza.
Each village is very beautiful, but Monterosso is the biggest and has a beach.
But when is the best time to visit Monterosso in Cinque Terre?
Summer in Monterosso Pros & Cons
Visiting Monterosso in the summer months is the best time to go, for the weather and all the shops, bars, restaurants and beaches are open.
The summer season starts in May until September and this when everything is open. The weather is nice, usually sunny and hot.
The best time to go either at the beginning of the season in May/June or at the end of the season in September. The weather is nice and not too hot.
The worst time to go to Monterosso is in July and August as it is full to the brim with tourists and it is very hot.
Winter in Monterosso Pros & Cons
A lot of people think many places in the Mediterranean are the same all year round, but that is not the case.
The weather cools down a lot in the winter months in Northern Italy, so you won’t be wearing a summer dress or bikini!
Most of the shops, bars and restaurants close for the winter months. The beach is clear of sun loungers so you can walk along the beach.
If it is a sunny clear day, it is a great time to take photographs without all the tourists. In the winter there not many tourists.
Read more about Monterosso in the winter here:
How to get to Monterosso
You can get to Monterosso by either driving, the train, boat or private tour. There are car parks in Monterosso, but arrive early to get a space.
The train journey is 1 hour and 20 minutes from Genoa and 3 hours from Milan. You can get there by boat from Genoa and the neighboring towns.
Go on a private tour from a close city you are staying in or on cruise ship tour, if on a cruise stopping in Genoa, Livorno or La Spezia.
When is the Best Time to Visit Monterosso Round-Up
- Best time to visit Monterosso is either May/early June or September.
- At these times of year it is a nice temperature between 20*C to 25*C.
- All the shops, bars, restaurants and beaches are open to enjoy.
Useful Italy Info
- Currency = Euros €
- Language = Italian, English is spoken
- Trains from Milan to Monterosso takes 3 hours, Genoa to Monterosso 1 hour and 20 minutes and Pisa to Monterosso 1 hour and 20 minutes
- Train Tickets = Either purchase at the train station (you can choose English at the ticket machines) or buy online with Rail Europe and remember to validate your ticket before you get on the platform in the validating machine.
- Staying in Monterosso is the best way to absorb the full Cinque Terre experience, I stayed for 5 days and loved it and there many hotels, B&B’s and apartments available in all price ranges on booking.com
- Closest airport to Monterosso is Genoa or Pisa, but if you coming from the USA, the best airport to fly into is Milan and then take the train. Expedia is great to compare flight prices to these airports
I hope this has helped you decide when to visit Monterosso in Cinque Terre. Please share on Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest so your friends and family can read too. Sharing is caring!
Love Lucy x
P.S. Sign up to the mailing list and never miss a blog post and receive my 15 top packing tips. Click here to subscribe
(We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites at no extra cost to you)