This Ricotta Gnocchi recipe is so easy and quick to make you will always want to make your own and here is how to make ricotta gnocchi from scratch.
Gnocchi is such a comforting pasta and it can be served with many different sauces from pesto, tomato, cheese, butter and sage and the list goes on. My favourite is tomato sauce with some melted mozzarella, yummy!
Which Region of Italy is Ricotta Gnocchi From?
Potato gnocchi originated in the north of Italy, due to the cooler climate that is better for potatoes to be grown in. Traditional potato gnocchi is made from potatoes, egg, flour and salt. Ricotta gnocchi is still from the north, in Piedmonte.
Quick and easy to make
I love pasta, but making it is a different story, as it normally takes a long time to make. Until I discovered how to make ricotta gnocchi and it changed how I felt about making my own homemade pasta.
Compared to the potato version, ricotta is much easier and quicker to make, I would say even foolproof!
Apart from the ricotta gnocchi being delicious and easy to make, you don’t need a load of fancy tools to make this recipe. So, anyone can make it, including you.
This recipe can also be frozen for another day if you have some leftovers. Just put in the freezer on a tray individually, before cooking and let chill for 2 hours, then remove and put in freezer bags. They don’t even need to be defrosted, just add to boiling water and cook until they come to the top of the pan.
How to make ricotta gnocchi
All you need are the ingredients:
- Parmesan Cheese
- Salt and pepper
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites at no extra cost to you. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases
- Large mixing bowl
- Chopping board
Steps to make ricotta gnocchi
Easy Ricotta Gnocchi Recipe
- Mixing Bowl
- Chopping Board
- Sauce Pan
- Slotted Spoon/Colander
- 125 g White Flour
- 250 g Ricotta
- 1 Egg
- 50 g Parmigiano Reggiano (Parmesan Cheese), grated
- 1 tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Black Pepper
- Put the ricotta, egg, parmesan cheese, salt and pepper in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix together with a whisk until think and creamy.
- Add the flour mix in until all combined into a dough.
- Sprinkle a little flour on a chopping board or surface.
- Put the dough on the board and knead into the flour, add more flour if the dough is sticky.
- Once the dough is smooth roll it into a ball.
- Press lightly down so the ball flattens slightly and divide into eight with a knife.
- Roll each section into a ball and roll it out into a sausage shape.
- Then cut the dough into approx. 1 inch (2 cm) pieces.
- Boil water in a saucepan with a little salt.
- When the water is boiling, add the ricotta gnocchi.
- Boil until the gnocchi floats to the top or around 4/5 minutes.
- Drain into a colander or remove with a slotted spoon.
- Add to your favourite sauce and serve.
YOU MAY ENJOY READING
If you enjoyed reading how to make ricotta gnocchi, please share on Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest.
When you have made this recipe, I would love to hear your comments below.